The plastic diet: my experience


Hi!

As I mentioned earlier today, I participated in a challenge in September last year. It was called 'the plastic diet' and it challenged the participants to avoid plastic packaging as much as possible.

The first thing I want to say about this whole experience is that it was very doable. I imagined it would be harder than it actually was.

So during the month of september I went on a plastic diet. I tried to buy as little packaged in plastic as possible. It turned out to be more time consuming than shopping like I normally do but I liked it and knew that what I was doing was actually good for the planet and not polluting it as much.

For the duration of the challenge I decided to put my plastic waste and 'restafval' (which is all the trash that isn't glass/paper/plastic packaging) in a big glass jar. There are a lot of crisps bags in there. Oops..


Planning was very important and a lot of meals turned out to be very simple and mostly home-made, which was great because I love cooking and meal planning. Here is a thirft haul and  some grocery hauls, with as little plastic as possible. I did not take pictures of everything, which I would like to do the next time. However, this gives you a good idea of what is availabe without plastic/in your own container.




There is one negative aspect about low waste, for me at least: once you are aware of (single-use) plastic..

 IT IS EVERYWHERE.

Like literaly everywhere, not just in the supermarket. I sometimes get mail wrapped in plastic.. plastic cutlery and straws often come with take-out-food (I always politely ask for no straw or plastic cutlery). Our phones are made out of plastic for the most part. Most of the stuff we use is made out of plastic. And everyday microplastics end up in the ocean by washing our synthetic clothes.

The plastic diet made me very aware of the visible waste, but also of the invisble waste/ For example the resources that are used to make clothing. I decided to watch the documentary 'The true cost' on Netlfix and it was really eye-opening. I knew the clothing industry was a bad thing but it really made me want to buy either secondh-hand clothing or clothing from sustainable, ethical brands. I've not felt the urge to enter a Primark or H&M (which saves me a lot of money). But more on that subject later, I'll dedicate a seperate post for that.

There are a couple of things that I want to keep doing 'low-waste'.


  • Buy loose fruit/veg/bread etc. whenever I can. If I really need something I'll buy it in plastic but I'll look for a plastic-free alernative first if that is possible.
  • Make things at home like coffee/tea or use my reusable coffeecup/thermos if I'm on the go.
  • When I need to buy an item of clothing I'll opt for second-hand, I can make something myself or I will buy from sustainable brands.
  • I use washing powder in a cardboard box instead of a plastic bottle.
  •  I buy cleaning vinegar and dishwashing liquid which comes in bottles made from recycled plastic. It is not completey zero-waste but it is the best that I can find (and do for now).


I'd highly reccomend a plastic diet for a mont or even just a week. It is really eye-opening. Which is important because the plastic pollution is a huge problem. I really want to participate in this challenge again. Perhaps next month, although it could be more difficult because I'll be moving to the other side of the Netherlands!

With love,

Jip.


Comments

  1. I love this. Last year I began working on reducing my plastic intake, and I had a near panic attack twice over plastic, once in the bathroom when looking at my make-up and other skin products, and at the store when I saw how much plastic was used for packaging.

    With make-up I'm working on doing more research and buying refillable palettes instead of like ones from CoverGirl, which contain a TON of plastic packaging. The new make-up I'm buying for eye shadow has very minimal plastic, and mostly paper packaging.

    I love that you mentioned package-less bread! I honestly hadn't thought about that too much, and there is a bakery attached to Knott's Berry Farm (which I got to very often) and I believe all of their bread is in paper bags.

    I had to ask about washing your clothes though...do you find the powder to work well? I'm so concerned about using powder ant it's affect on vintage or in a HE washer.

    You're an inspiration! Keep up the good work!
    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janey! Thank you for your kind comment!

    I think it's great that you are opting for make-up which comes in less packaging. I've read that Lush sells 'naked' make-up nowadays.

    Buying bread in a fabric/paper bag is usually not a problem at all. However, if you are planning on freezing the bread I would reccomend to put it in a plastic bag you have lying around or one that you bought bread in previously, to prevent it from drying out.

    I've tried several things to wash my clothes with. For a while, when I started to ge interested in this whole movement, I made washing liquid myself using grated bar soap and boiling water. However, after I while the clothes didn't really smell fresh anymore. I read somewhere that bar soap leaves a 'film' on the garments , instead of actually cleaning it. So I switched to store-bought liquid. I had some bottles of the Ecover brand which comes in recycled plastic, but it is still plastic nonetheless.

    I tried out washing powder and it works great for me. I've tried a couple of different brands and off-brands because some don't smell as strong after the clothes are washed. I like a nice smell but don't want to use fabric softener (again from the Ecover brand, I'd like to use it for linens only). So I'd suggest trying out a couple of different washing powders, preferably an eco-friendly one if that is within your budget, here in the Netherlands a small box can cost around 10 Euros.

    I haven't worn vintage (original 30s/40s/50s) clothes in a long time now and would always suggest to wash these by hand with some natural soap or liquid specifically made for delicate fabrics. Repro pieces can usually be washed in the machine. I don't own a high efficiency washer (I got a 2nd hand Miele, the same model as my parents always had. I guess it is about 20 years old but I'm not sure).

    Hope this helps! And if there is anything you'd like to see on this blog or read a post about. please let me know, I'd love your feedback.

    With love,

    Jip.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts